Thursday, September 11, 2008

tgif!

When the week first started, it seemed like it could go on forever. But before I knew it, it's already thursday night, the eve of a friday. I can't wait to get my seven hours of uninterrupted sleep again. The last time that happened was... let's see... last week during the hols.

Actually, a few noteworthy things occurred this week; on Monday afternoon, I had a dry racking cough and my voice was quite hoarse. Since my profession requires me to have nothing less than amazing powers of voice projection, I knew that I had to give my vocal cords a break lest they give way for good. So I paid a visit to the nearby clinic and discovered that I had a bad throat infection and needed to be on antibiotics. On wednesday, I was graciously "arrowed" to be involved in a demo-lesson for the school's open house in October. Later, more than a handful of considerate kids informed me that my "unglam" mug was in Lianhe Zaobao. I was quite happy because people who dislike me could now cut out my face and use it as a dartboard or a doormat. Not.

D: You hair looked messy and you had a funny expression on your face. But you still look hamsome!!

Me: Really? (with a wry smile). Thanks for the info. Did my name appear anywhere in the article or was I just a nameless face?

D: Nameless face. But now you're famous lah!!

Me: (weak laughter) Ha. Ha. Ha...
Thursday (or earlier today), I was shouting like nobody's business in class, intermittently within the space of an hour -- that's like a gazillion steps backwards on the path of recovery. I really couldn't help it; despite the awareness that I was fasting and thus, should be keeping my anger in check, I just lost abit of control. Now my voice is as hoarse as ever.

Then, after work, on a whim, I decided to drop by the Ramadhan bazaar at Jurong West to see if I could get any nice goodies for iftar but when I finally reached the place, I was too turned off by the crowd to proceed any further. Therefore, I went straight back home and indulged myself by being a couch potato for the next couple of hours, which is of course, really a not-too-bright an idea for someone who hasn't got much free time to spare on weekday evenings for such frivolous activities.

Well anyway, I know that there is this saying, "Those who can't do, teach," but I really detest people who underestimate what teachers do, outside and beyond the classroom. It demands alot of empathy to understand how tedious is the process of planning, executing and then following up, on an hour's worth of lesson. Is marking exam scripts just about picking up a red pen and putting ticks and crosses according to a prepared answer scheme? Is it enough to go into class armed with nothing else than a couple of whiteboard markers, a textbook, a degree and a history of a distinction in whatever subject you're teaching?? Sigh.

I really should put a stop to all this grumbling and whining. It's getting on my nerves!!!

No comments: